Sunday, January 16, 2022

A Simple Cross

A Simple Cross

How can something so simple bring such joy? This wooden cross is one of the latest magnets I purchased at Dollywood back in August.

It was an unusual day at Dollywood. We pretty much had the entire park to ourselves. It was raining/misting in the morning. We had previously made our reservations for the park entrance. And I had a reservation for a little motor scooter because I have difficulty walking. Because of the rain, and even though it stopped by 11 a.m., many people apparently decided not come to the park. There were times throughout the day we would look around and not see a single person anywhere. We had heard that there were only about 400 guests who attended that day. And we honestly believe there were more employees in the park than guests.

Because of the limited number of people in the park that day, I actually felt comfortable going into the stores on the mobility scooter. One of the stores that I really enjoy is the wood crafters store with handmade wooden ornaments, wall hangings, and other carved items.  It is amazing to look at the talent of the craftsmen and their works of wonder.

As soon as we entered the store, I noticed a table straight in with various Christmas items. The nativity sets were all hand carved out of olive wood by artisans local to the Holy Land. I immediately fell in love and wished I were in financial position to buy it all—as well as have the room to showcase it at home. Due to those limitations, I only purchased a small nativity set, maybe about eight inches high. And when you turn the star on the top, it plays “Silent Night.” It was absolutely beautiful and I will probably keep it out all year long.

We ended up with a couple other items and made our way through the otherwise empty store to the cash register. Near the register was a roundabout magnet holder. I like to touch and look, and of course, I started turning it. This simple little cross caught my eye and I knew I had to have it. It somehow spoke to me – not just “buy me” but rather “ I need to be with you.”

This cross is now on my refrigerator. I see it every single time that I go to the bathroom. Which means several times a day. I look at it and it just brings me a moment of joy, of peace, of relaxation. Something that I never imagined would happen from just a simple little magnet.

I wonder what will speak to me next time I’m at Dollywood? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog

Final Blog This is my final blog. After I give a 2-3 minute speech on my experience, I will complete the Presentation Mastery path, Level ...