Thursday, January 13, 2022

Butter Y'All

 

After living in our house for 22 years, my husband and I had to purchase a new refrigerator. It should have been done a couple years ago because it was leaking inside, the icemaker broke about five years ago, and it was making “clunking” noises every couple of hours. My husband did the research and purchasing all on his own and even made the executive decision to get the three-year warranty. He done good!

Knowing the refrigerator would be delivered on a Tuesday, I spent the Sunday prior cleaning off the refrigerator – yes, cleaning off the outside of the refrigerator of the couple hundred magnets that decorated it. (And in hindsight, I should have taken a before and after picture of the old fridge). Found out the original color was ivory and it looked “naked” without all the magnets. As I was cleaning off each individual magnet and deciding to keep or purge it, I started thinking about the history behind the magnets. There is a story with the purchase or gift of each magnet. And because I’m a Toastmaster, I started thinking about how I could use this for a possible project.

Could I present a series of speeches about the different magnets? I knew that I would be starting a new Presentation Mastery path and I could focus each project in the path on a magnet. Then I remembered one of the elective projects in Level 4 in several paths was create a podcast or make a blog. After reviewing the requirements of each project, I decided on a making a blog. I can easily write a minimum of eight (8) blogs about the different magnets. I could probably write well over a hundred - but I promise I won't. 



The first magnet I would like to share with you is one we (my hubby and I) purchased from vacation in our happy place – Gatlinburg, Tennessee. And it’s the first one I put on the new refrigerator!

We had breakfast at Paula Deen's restaurnt at the Island in Pigeon Forge. All you can eat, family style breakfast. The fluffiest scrambled eggs ever! To get out of the restaurant, you have to walk through the store. And even though we probably don’t need anything more for our kitchen, we always look because you never know when something will just POP out at you.

Everywhere we go, we always check out the magnets. And if you know anything about Paula Deen, you know she’s all about the butter. You can never go wrong with butter. You can always use more butter! My hubby makes a peanut butter and jelly sandwich by first putting butter on the bread, then the peanut butter, then the jelly. I don’t go quite that far, but he likes what he likes, and that includes me, so that’s okay!

Anyway… as we were looking through the magnets, one practically jumped off the rack into my hands. A rectangle shaped piece of “butter” with “Butter Y’all” printed on it. It’s southern, it’s butter, and it’s a magnet. Which means that we had to purchase it and bring it home!

Continue following me for more Magnetic Memories.

3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea for a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refrigerator magnets are a neat thing to collect. They're inexpensive souvenirs - maybe I'll remember that next time I travel, and make them my souvenir of choice!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog

Final Blog This is my final blog. After I give a 2-3 minute speech on my experience, I will complete the Presentation Mastery path, Level ...